Thursday, July 28, 2016

   * NEW JERSEY FATHER ASKS WHY SON'S LYNCH SYNDROME NOT DIAGNOSED EARLY ? WHAT TREATMENTS?

Hi Dr. Roshin.  I'd like to invite you to my house. My wife is a Japanese girl XOXO. She makes life wonderful and she's a real good cook.  The patient is my son Raymond. He's 27 and married. By the way I'm fortunate enough to have all 4 of my children living with me and plus the 2 wives of my sons. About a year ago the pains became too much and when Raymond went to the emergency room, it took awhile but they discovered a problem. They ended up removing the descending part of the colon. Raymond had the bag and went through about 4 or 5 months of chemo. After a few more months they did an operation to reattach him and discovered more cancer on the small intestine. As I was explaining I'm adopted along with my half brother and sister. We are all from the same mom. They both experienced colon cancer in there 40's. My sister got a positive report for Lynch Syndrome pretty recently. Although we've suspected for awhile. I assume I must have it. One strange thing is that the first report from the Dr's said that Raymond did not have it. And when I showed them my sisters report then they said he did. I assumed it would be more black and white. Dr. can you check about Radio Surgery. Dr. Gil Lederman is on the radio 710 am. Thats the station. Gotta head to work. Good luck in your ministry. God Bless You --- Bruce and XOXO"
















Hello Mr. Bruce,

I have to admit, I am baffled by your comments that your son’s Lynch syndrome was not the initial diagnosis afforded by his doctors, with expedient treatments, both screening and curative, provided as early as possible.  Lynch Syndrome, often referred to as hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC), is the most common inherited cause of colon cancer; thus, from the onset, your son’s family history, in other words, his genetic history should have been extensively explored, with an immediate realization that a link to his present symptoms exists.  In fact, for people with Lynch syndrome, colonoscopy cancer screening exams should be scheduled every one to two years beginning in their twenties.  Time is survival; thus, excuses and apologies are unacceptable.  Your son developed colon cancer of the descending colon, which was appropriately resected, used a colostomy bag for four to five months, and underwent a successful surgery to reattach the digestive system tract.  However, during that reattachment surgery, cancer was found in the small intestine, and you wish to discuss radiosurgery. 

Radiosurgery is a procedure that targets tumors using a large dose of radiation, focused on that precise cancerous lesion, for eradication.  Since the high dose of radiation is localized to a small area, as opposed to chemotherapy which floods the body with toxic medication to kill the cancer cells, radiosurgery would be an effective procedure for Raymond’s small intestine cancer.  Radiosurgery, in combination with chemotherapy, is often more effective to ensure total purging of the cancer from your son’s body.  However, the radiosurgery procedure does render many adverse complications not limited to the following:  skin blisters, inability to hold bowel, fatigue, erectile dysfunction in males, vaginal irritation in females, blood in stool, painful bowel movements, and urinary irritation (burning, blood in urine).  There are multiple treatment options on how to deliver the radiation, as well as numerous other treatments options available for bowel cancer; thus, a final decision should only be made after contemplation with Raymond’s physician.

Bruce, I am humbled by your invitation to visit your family.  Thank you for your question(s) and trust.  Please stay in touch, as I wish to know your family’s final treatment decision and most importantly, the outcome.  If you have any questions or simply need a second opinion, feel free to call or write, at your convenience.  In the meantime, although I do not have a ministry, your thought sounds like a reasonable calling, worth considering.  God Bless Raymond, God Bless you, and God Bless New Jersey.


Respectfully,






Dr. Roshin









*

No comments:

Post a Comment